Karnataka: Over 100 students fall ill due to suspected food poisoning

Rate this post

At least 137 student nurses and paramedics fell ill on Monday due to suspected food poisoning at a hostel in Mangaluru’s Shaktinagar. The students were immediately rushed to private hospitals in the city overnight after they witnessed related symptoms.

The students had developed stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea since 2 a.m. Monday. Relatives of the students had gathered outside the hospitals where they had been admitted, according to the ANI news agency.

N Shashi Kumar, the city’s police commissioner, said police are trying to find out the reason for the incident.

“At about 9 pm, around 400-500 people gathered in front of the city hospital in the city. Most of them are students and the rest are their family members. Since 2 am in the morning, more “Out of 100 students have complained of food poisoning and have been hospitalized. 137 students were admitted to different hospitals in the city. We are trying to find out the reason,” Shashi Kumar said.

Meanwhile, the district health inspector, Dr. Ashok, provided details of the incident, saying that all students are safe and there is no need to panic, according to ANI reports.

“General nursing and nursing students have been admitted to various hospitals due to food poisoning. Students panicked. About 130 students received treatment. There is no need to worry or panic. We will visit the hostel and interact with Warden them and find out the source. Everyone is out of danger. So far no victims have been reported,” he said.

In early January, the southern state of Kerala has been experiencing a rising number of food poisonings, after which the state’s health minister, Veena George, ordered authorities to carry out “widespread” inspections in all 14 districts.

It has also stated that strict action must be taken against outlets that operate without a license or serve adulterated and unsanitary food.

Leave a Comment